In our last article we created our first Debian Buster virtual machine in XCP-ng. Now we will continue our install process and go through setup by step instruction of installing the Debian OS.
- Step 9: Leave the domain name empty or choose same for all your computers in a network.
- Step 10: keep your root password safe, as you will need is for installing applications & packages (su and sudo commands also use root password).
- Step 11: create the admin account name for the Debian
- Step 12: choose the user name of the above user account, in most cases this we will use this account to login to this system.
- Step 13: choose the password for the above account, and don’t use the same password as root 😉
- Step 15: This is the most important step, and highly recommend to setup the drive as encrypted, in 2019 this must not be an optional.
- Step 17: for use of ease, we will use single partition for all files types.
- Step 21: this step relate to our step 15, and this passphrase (password) must be entered every time system is booted.
- Step 22: if you lose this passphrase, then we can’t boot into the system and won’t be able recover any data from this partition.
- Step 25: creating & finalize the partitions.
- Step 29: Choose the Debian archive near to your location.
- Step 30: choose the proxy if its applicable (in most cases it can be left blank).
- Step 33: We will use our Debian Buster installation as a headless server, so we don’t need to install any desktop environment. So as a base installation we will only install ssh server or standard utilities.
- Step 34: At last we are installing the GRUB boot loader, and in next step we will chose the disk to install it.
- Step 36: Now we are almost done with the installation, when we press the the “Continue”button, Debian will clean up the some file and restart the system. remember we must eject the ISO from the DVD Drive from the XCP-ng, as show in the below picture where DVD drive is <empty>.
- Step 37: This will be the first boot screen and as mention in Step 15, we must enter the passphrase for disk encryption. After the correct passphrase Debian will resume booting.
- Step 38: voila 🙂 we have our Debian 10 Buster installation is complete.
In comming articles we will take a look to customize and secure our Debian installation.